Immigration Categories

Working Visas

For Canadian Immigration purposes, "work" is defined as an activity for which remuneration is earned or an activity that competes directly with activities of Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents in the Canadian labour market. Canadian Immigration authorities do not permit a limited number of work related activities in Canada without a Work permit. A job offer from a Canadian employer is usually a prerequisite to receiving a Work Permit. In some instances, Canadian Immigration Regulations allow for "open" Work Permits that are not employer specific. Work Permits are always temporary in nature, but often can be extended from inside Canada. Normally, Work Permits will only be granted by Canadian Immigration authorities if supported by a positive "Labour Market Opinion" (LMO) letter issued by Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC), indicating that the proposed employment will not adversely affect Canadian workers. Work Permits may be issued by Canadian Immigration Officials, without HRSDC involvement, in a limited number of situations, as follows:

Under international agreements, such as the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) Due to the significant economic, social or cultural benefits the work activity will bring to Canadians. As part of reciprocal agreements Canada and its provinces/territories have entered into with other countries, such as youth and teacher exchange programs. So that international students studying in Canada can fulfill academic requirements, known as co-op placements. To allow the spouses/common-law partners of Work Permit and certain Study Permit holders in Canada to take on employment. Because the nature of the work is charitable or religious. In recognition that certain persons in Canada for other reasons, such as the making of a refugee claim, need to support themselves.

Each year, Canada welcomes over 90,000 workers on to fill job shortages in key areas of the economy. As the Canadian economy expands, it needs more workers to fill a variety of positions. In sectors such as IT, manufacturing, care-giving, health sector and the construction industry, there is already a shortage of workers.

A Work Visa (or Temporary Work Permit) is the best option for anyone who wishes to work in Canada, but does not want to apply immediately as a Permanent Resident. However, you may be able to use the Work Visa to move toward Permanent Residency at a later date. Under the work permit the foreign worker needs a job offer letter from a Canadian employer. An application is made to HRSDC / Service Canada for an LMO confirmation. Once confirmation is received, the application is filed for work permit from the visa office where the foreign worker resides.

Our company can help foreign workers find employers and then submit application for Service Canada / LMO approval.